The problem with wisdom teeth
We recommend your wisdom teeth to be removed because any perceived advantage to keeping them is significantly outweighed by the potential problems, pain and/or damage to adjacent teeth or tissues, resulting from not have them removed. Quite simply, our mouths are too small to accommodate and healthily maintain them; ultimately this fact is the underlying problem with almost all wisdom teeth.
Don't wait until it hurts
Wisdom teeth should be removed BEFORE they hurt. Waiting until wisdom teeth hurt is a bad idea. The discomfort and swelling that can be associated with impacted or non-impacted wisdom teeth can be quite acute. We like to remind our patients that the presence or absence of pain in medicine is not a good predictor of disease presence or absence, and therefore it is even a worse indicator for the need for treatment.
Why wisdom teeth should be removed
The following list comprises the most common problems and statistics associated with third molars. This list is our detailed response to why your wisdom teeth should be removed.
- The location of wisdom teeth and associated difficulty to clean them result in the harboring of bacteria that contribute to bad breath, gingivitis, periodontitis and dental decay in other good teeth.
- The often severe pain and discomfort associated with wisdom teeth are a result of a lack of space, inadequate irruption, and/or inadequate development.
- Cysts or tumors can develop around impacted wisdom teeth.
- Wisdom teeth can destroy investments in orthodontics, affect other teeth positions and/or possibly make future orthodontics difficult.
- An uneven bite and uneven occlusal plane as the result of wisdom teeth can result in excessive force and pain in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ).
- As patients age, the likelihood of wisdom teeth pain and problems increase. Approximately 85% of wisdom teeth will NEED to be removed as the result of pain, infection or both, if not done so electively. In addition, it is well documented that the chance for complications and morbidity related to the process of wisdom teeth removal increases dramatically.