Gum disease can be detrimental to oral health. Our dentists are here to help!
Virginia Dental Center is committed to treating and preventing gum disease. With skilled professionals and advanced technology, we can make sure your gums stay healthy so your smile can shine. Don’t let gum disease compromise your oral health – learn how we can help, today!
What is gum disease?
Gum disease, also known as periodontitis, occurs when enough plaque builds up on your teeth and gums. It irritates the tissues in our mouth and can lead to chronic inflammation, bleeding, and infection that destroys your gum and bone tissue that support your teeth. Gum disease doesn’t go away on its own, and will only worsen over time if it’s left untreated.
How is gum disease treated?
- First, your dentist will clean above your gum line
- Then, you’ll be brought back in for a deep cleaning called scaling and root planning
- Next, you’ll want to come in every three months for one year, to make sure your gums stay healthy
- After one year, your pocket depths will be reevaluated to make sure they’ve healed
Catch gum disease before it starts
Virginia Dental Center makes gum disease prevention a part of your check-up. We’ll examine your gums to make sure they are healthy, and free of plaque buildup. Our exam involves gently measuring the depth of the spaces between your gums and teeth.
Healthy gum tissue is shallow and v-shaped between the tooth and gums. Normally, a healthy depth of a pocket is three millimeters or less. An unhealthy pocket is deeper, bleeds, and collects more plaque and bacteria.
Schedule your gum disease treatment
Take control of your oral health! Contact our office to schedule your next appointment and learn how we can get you back on track to a healthy smile today.
To schedule your next appointment;
- Call us at (877) 696-9119
- Request an appointment online