Dental crowns replace the structure, function, and esthetics of a damaged tooth
Dental crowns are an effective solution for:
- Decayed or weakened teeth
- Broken or worn-down teeth
- Misshapen or discolored teeth
- Covering dental implants
- Enhancing your smile
- Holding a dental bridge in place
If you find that you’re facing any of these challenges, we can help! With skilled professionals and advanced technology, dental crowns are a reliable method of getting the smile you’ve always wanted.
What are dental crowns?
Dental crowns are essentially a cap that is designed to mimic the look and function of a natural tooth. They are placed on the visible part of the tooth that is above the gum line. Crowns can be stainless steel, all metal, porcelain-fused-to-metal, all resin, or all ceramic. The type of material that is used largely depends on your goals for your crown.
How are crowns placed?
- Your dentist examines your oral health, checking your tooth roots and bone
- The tooth is reshaped to make room for the crown
- Your dentist will make an impression of the tooth to design the crown
- A temporary crown is placed to protect the prepared tooth until the permanent crown is ready
- The temporary crown is removed
- The permanent crown is fitted and adjusted
- Once everything is in place, the permanent crown is cemented into place
Benefits of crowns:
- Protect teeth from further damage
- Restore the look and function of a natural tooth
- When cared for properly, crowns can last for 15 years